Routines-Based Early Intervention: Supporting Young Children and Their Families
A proven model for family-centered intervention in natural environments, routines-based intervention is the approach thousands of professionals trust to improve the lives of young children and families. Now there's a definitive guide to this highly respected, theoretically sound model—straight from the leading authority on routines-based intervention.
Putting the wisdom and strategies from his popular workshops into book form for the first time, Robin McWilliam gives professionals a detailed framework for early intervention that addresses families' individual needs and helps children participate in daily routines. With the step-by-step guidance on each part of the routines-based intervention model, professionals in Part C programs will reach their key goals during visits to homes and child care settings:
- Fully understand the family environment. Get to know the family by creating a helpful visual depiction of their relationships, supports, and resources.
- Conduct assessment that's truly family-centered. Uncover the whole family's functional needs through an in-depth yet unintimidating interview about daily routines and activities
- Write high-quality IFSPs and IEPs. Develop clear, specific, measurable goals that directly address the family's priorities and help children develop skills relevant to everyday life.
- Provide coordinated, streamlined services. Implement the primary-service-provider model, so families receive strong, consistent support from one provider.
- Empower families to continue intervention between visits. Coach families on weaving intervention into daily routines, so children have the best chance to learn and retain new skills.
- Support early childhood educators through collaborative consultation, so they have all the tools they need to teach children effectively.
- With this proven model—aligned with DEC Recommended Practices—Part C programs will ensure high-quality services that get right to the heart of each family's needs and improve young children's outcomes.
- Implement the model with more than 25 reproducible checklists and forms:
- Family Quality of Life scale
- Therapy Goals Information form
- RBI Implementation Checklist
- Infant-Toddler Assessment Checklist
- Family Preparation form
- Service Decision Checklist
- Home Visit Checklist
- Consultation Checklist