CLASS™ Manual, Pre-K
PreK. A proven and reliable observational tool which can help promote quality classroom teaching. The CLASS™ is based on the early childhood teacher-child interactions rather than the evaluation of the physical environment or a specific curriculum.
- CLASS™ is proven. Developed, tested, and researched for over a decade in more than 3,000 classrooms.
- CLASS™ addresses a school's most urgent needs
- CLASS™ is accurate. Repeated cycles of observation establish a real picture of the classroom.
- CLASS™ targets "trouble spots." Tabulated scores help identify areas in which improvement is needed.
- CLASS™ covers three crucial domains of high quality teacher-student interaction:
- Emotional Support: Social and emotional functioning in the classroom is an indicator of school readiness. CLASS™ evaluates the dimensions of positive climate, negative climate, teacher sensitivity and regard for student perspectives
- Classroom Organization: Classrooms provide the most opportunities for learning when students are well behaved, active, and engaged. CLASS™ considers behavior management, productivity, and instructional learning formats.
- Instructional Support: Are teachers making the most of opportunities to effectively support cognitive and language development through the curriculum? CLASS™ focuses on the roles of concept development, quality of feedback, and language modeling.